Monday, May 18, 2009

Beauty Moment- Clairol Perfect 10 Hair Color

I am inherently mistrustful of at-home hair color. I colored my own hair all through college and have the pictures of brassy, uneven, just vaguely "off" hair to prove it. I defined "adulthood" as (among other things, of course) being able to scrape up enough money every 8 weeks to have my hair colored professionally. And I truly love my hair stylist. She's amazing - a veritable magician with hair color. It always looks natural and grows out just as beautifully as the day it's done. But my stylist is in the midst of a difficult pregnancy (twins!) and I cannot in good concience ask her to stand on her surely swollen feet just because I have an unhealthy preoccupation with my roots. So I am back to coloring my own hair. Just until she has the kids, gets some rest, and is ready for me.

I wanted to go a little darker without completely erasing the gold highlights already in my hair. Oh, and I wanted to cover the grays. And not have to stand around in my bathroom for 40 minutes, accidentally flinging hair color all over the walls, stepping out in the hallway every few minutes to get away from the fumes. I assumed this was all too much to ask. Until my friend Kara let me in on a little secret: Clairol Perfect 10 Hair Color.

Ok, so apparently it's not much of a secret. Perfect 10 is loved by professional colorists and regular women alike. It's been featured in all the mags. The two major selling points for me were
1.) 10 minutes to natural-looking, glossy hair color
2.) The box specifically promised to deepen my brown hair color without picking up red or brassiness. This is huge!

And you know what? Perfect 10 lived up to the hype. Kara (whose own hair is gorgeous and glossy, by the way) gave me a couple tips which I'll pass along to you: ditch the comb thingy that comes with the applicator bottle. It's messy and doesn't distribute color evenly at all. Instead, snap on the nozzle, hit your roots first and then feather the color down your hair shaft about half an inch with a fine toothed comb. Wait five minutes, then apply the color to the the rest of your hair. This technique ensures even coverage. Since the tips of your hair are naturally drier than the roots, they'll suck up more color. Letting your roots percolate first will keep your hair from becoming too dark at the tips.

The product is a little runny - not a big deal, but just something to be aware of. Tip your head back slightly when coloring your hairline, or risk some drippage onto your face. I'll admit to cursing a little throughout my at-home coloring session. And to not wanting to make it a habit. But I'll also admit to being really happy with the results. I used the online shade-finder tool and found it to be true in the recommendation it made. And the deep conditioning treatment that comes in the box? Smells amazing. Feels amazing. Would love to buy it on its own. Are you listening, Lady Clairol?

3 comments:

  1. Hm, I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprisingly happy with it - if you do give Perfect 10 a try, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, because it's one of the few that covers my gray and matches me natural. Most reds are so fakey looking, theirs is great, and it doesn't irritate my scalp.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is inactive and is no longer accepting comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.