Drew Barrymore has been everywhere lately. She's promoting her HBO movie Grey Gardens and has pulled out all the stops, lookwise. While what she has going on here is certainly a whole lotta look - and probably not entirely translatable into something I would wear on the street - I do like her makeup. The matte pink lipstick and va-va-voom eyes are a modern take on the iconic 1960's look.
What keeps the makeup from wandering into "dated" territory are the formulas - matte instead of frosted lipstick, and a smoldering eye that is clean and well highlighted. This makeup would look great at prom, an afternoon/evening wedding, or a night out with the girls. Here are a few tips and tricks to get you started:
1. Start your eye makeup with an eye primer. This will keep the darker colors on your lids, where they belong. I like Urban Decay Potion Primer or MAC Paint Pot (in Painterly).
2. Line your eyes very carefully, then go over the liner with an eyeshadow that matches. Use a sponge-tip applicator or a liner brush to keep the line ultra-precise. This will deepen the look of the liner and make sure it lasts.
3. Avoid going too dark with your eyes - keep much of the darkness focused near the last line. Highlight right under your brow bone with a light eye shadow, like Stila's Kitten.
4. Finish the eyes with mascara. I've been using one from Max Factor 2000 Calorie Extreme Lash Plumper. It's great for putting your lashes at center stage. The wand is much like Cover Girl's Lash Blast, but the mascara itself is very different. It creates feathery lashes and doesn't smudge.
5. The lips really pull this look together. They don't compete with the dramatic eye makeup, but they also don't fade into the background. Another Max Factor product, Vivid Impact Lipstick in Number 4 (also called Pinup Pink). It's a very saturated pale pink that lasts. The look is matte, but the lipstick is very moisturizing - an unexpected bonus.