Monday, January 10, 2011

Everyday Bombshell

I like to play with color in my outfits, and sometimes this means experimenting with the contrast between light and dark rather than pulling on an eye-catching shade of pink or blue. A common rule of thumb that plus size women are given is to avoid wearing light colors on the lower half of their bodies. But I've found a way to bend this rule in a way that works for my proportions:



There are two keys to avoid looking stumpy when wearing color around your hips:

1. Anchor the color with a dark shade to avoid having blocks of color cut your figure at awkward spots. For example, if I'd paired this skirt with a turquoise top and black tights, there would be too many different spots for the eye to focus on. Which would result in my looking shorter and boxy.

2. Create a long line with dark tights and shoes. You'll look proportional with color around your hips by elongating your figure and directing the eye down to your toes.



I put a little bit of color up by my face with this peach floral necklace. It doesn't interfere with my outfit at all, but it does add an extra pop of interest up by my face. And keeps me from feeling drab in head-to-toe gray!

The Outfit:

Black long-sleeved tee - Old Navy
Black drapey tank tunic - Lane Bryant
Gray denim skirt - Gap
Black leggings - Gap
Ballet Flats - Designershoes.com
Flower bib necklace- Lane Bryant
Gold bangle bracelet- Lia Sophia

5 comments:

  1. Great look! I love the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweetie! you look so beautiful with your hair and necklace:) really show off your lovely face. I have started up the feature-series on my blog again, will be posting your feature in not too long :) and will of course let you know. happy new year, Anika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anika- So good to hear from you! Hope all is well...and thanks for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little apple-shaped, so I like to wear lighter pants with dark tops. I've always wished I had bigger hips and butt, so I don't mind creating the illusion that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point about body shape, Marinn. See? No hard and fast rules work (or don't work) for all women. It's all about your body shape.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)