Monday, March 14, 2011

Behind the Brand- LucieLu

I've been an ardent fan of Wisconsin-based plus size brand LucieLu for about a year, now. I first discovered LucieLu online, then found several pieces stocked at Bombshell Boutique. I made my first purchase last August and have followed it up with several more. I appreciate the lightweight fabrics, which are key for layering through fall & winter before transitioning into spring and summer. LucieLu clothes also always feature a really fantastic detail of some sort, whether it's an unexpected pocket or layer of lace.

Here's a slideshow of me in a few of my pieces from LucieLu:



After loving and wearing the brand for the past year, I started to wonder about the woman creating some of my favorite clothes. So I sent a few questions over to Lucie, the owner/designer, and was thrilled to receive such great responses to my questions. I think Lucie is someone with whom I could be friends with in real life. She's funny and down to earth, and very throughtful about what she's doing with her line.

When and how did LucieLu launch? LucieLu recently hit the one year mark--cheers to many more!

What is your background? I went to school for advertising (yawn), but spent the last 10 years starting & building another plus size clothing store. With a move in site (yes, i moved from Minneapolis to Green Bay for a boy) it was time to go out on my own.

You're based out of WI - how does that influence the work you do? The long winters tend to hinder my creativity & make me question whether the whole world is dressed in fleece. But... luckily I sneak out of here sometimes & realize that fashion is alive & well! Seriously though, the climate does make me lean toward "seasonless" styles that can be worn most of the year, layered or alone.

Who is your target LucieLu customer? In what ways does she inspire you? My target customer is a woman that doesn't accept the big brand chain stores as her only choice. She is savvy & willing to dig a little (whether it be online or local boutiques) in order to assemble a great wardrobe. She visits the fashion blogs & credits many of them for turning her on to some awesome fashion resources. I love that she doesn't take "no" sitting down.

I would consider your attention to detail (like buttons and pockets and pattern mixes) to be your design signature; what would you classify as your signature? It all starts with the details. Being an online store people can't see your clothing in person, so something about it needs to catch their eye & make them feel that it's special enough to order. The equally important part is making sure that the fit, fabric & quality are so great that they not only keep it, but love it. They know they can depend on you. That's how you get great loyal relationships.

If you had to choose 3 pieces from your collection to wear every single day, which would they be? Essential Jeggings--I mean, what's not to love? Stripe Boyfriend Cardi--love, love, love it. Looks super cute with a pop of color from a scarf. And the Piece Cardi--so much intersting pattern & texture that just works.

Lucie's Favorites

Black top
$46 - lucielu.com

Striped top
$42 - lucielu.com

Essential Jegging-Dark Blue
$36 - lucielu.com

Essential Jegging-Black
$36 - lucielu.com



What are you working on right now? I'm working on so many new styles for spring & summer... Of course great versatile dresses & I'm adamant about making some fun & interesting screen printed t-shirts, skirts & dresses.

I can't wait to see what Lucie creates for spring and summer. In the meantime, these are the pieces I love from her current collection:

Floral tunic
$48 - lucielu.com

Tunic top
$46 - lucielu.com

Sweater
$42 - lucielu.com

Military Shrug
$15 - lucielu.com



*LucieLu has sent me three items over the past year to review, but I've paid for the majority of items I have from the line.

1 comment:

  1. Again you introduce me to a new line of clothing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is inactive and is no longer accepting comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.