Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Everyday Mom

Okay let’s get all the explanations and apologies out of the way right off the bat.

Sara’s on vacation & like all Moms I offered to help her out (okay I thought it would be fun) with her blog while she was gone.

I’m a 58 year old Mother of two, Grandmother of two & Mother-in law of two. I’ve been married to my high school sweetheart for 37, almost 38 years and work for a non profit women’s organization, which of course means I work with 34 women of varying ages and two men.

I’m not sure which of the above made me grey but my hair remains grey because I think I look worse with the outgrowth (Sara’s vocabulary- I would just call it the grey streak) plus I have absolutely no patience when it comes to sitting in a salon. And THEN I found out I don’t even know how to make a salon appointment: Last Christmas I thought a few low lights would be a good idea, so when I called they asked if I wanted a partial or full wrap. I thought that was rather a stupid question because if I’d wanted all my hair done I would have simply requested a color. Little did I know that a partial wrap means they only do the top of your head.

I do not read fashion magazines and I live in West Des Moines, Iowa so there will be no high fashion this week. And Sara hasn’t been here to clean out my closet & force me to go shopping & buy new clothes so nothing you will see is newer than 6 months old - Christmas always helps!

My style (if I actually have one) is on the classic side. Black & white has always been a wardrobe staple for me - I love adding a pop of color. Comfort is essential and I wear nothing but toeless shoes from April 2nd until Halloween.



The Outfit

Black & White Print Shirt & Linen Pants - JC Penney
Orange tank - Kohl’s
Black Birkenstocks - Fit to Be Tied - Des Moines
Close2yourheart necklace with broken earring
Diamond Earrings - York Jewelry
Sapphireire Ring - Don’t remember but it’s one of several pieces Sara’s called dibs on (Don’t think her brother would wear it anyway.)

11 comments:

  1. You look lovely, Mom! Very sweet of you to help Sara while she's on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Sara's Mom! You have a great daughter that I am so happy to call a friend!

    You can never go wrong with black and white with a pop of color also. Such a fun, classic pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome :) Hopefully you get to make more guest posts than just this week.

    I understand the whole not wanting to sit in the salon for hours. I would probably do more with my hair color too if it didnt require a 3 hour visit.

    You look great and I can't wait to see more posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look beautiful and I really enjoyed reading. Looking forward to more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mom! You look lovely! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sara's Mom! I love the outfit. The animal print jacket is so fun and on-trend. And i really like how you used the broken earring in your Close 2 Your Heart necklace! I did that last week too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome! I am totally with you on the sandals from April to October, I live in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame you about the salon! And you know, I have no idea what partial or full means either. Once I wanted to get my nails done but couldn't figure out what a new fill vs. a partial fill vs. a new set was so I just gave up and painted them at home.

    I think you look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat, before I read how you defined your own style, I thought to myself that you have a classic style, and it was great to see you think so, too. What I admire about you is that you always look classy, comfortable, and confident (illiteration not intended). I've never seen you fidget in what you're wearing and you're clothes always fit your personality. Sara's got such great style, because she had you as her first style role model. :)

    (Kimi Harrison)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for the warm Welcome - this blogging thing is hard work! Admire all of you who do it daily.

    Lynn W - if I lived in Texas I'd be doing year round sandals.

    Sara's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to a week of Pat! Like you, I need Sara to force me to clean out my closet and update my wardrobe. After two years without her going through my closet, I'm in dire need. Good thing she'll be here this week to help me out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it'll appear here once I review it. The helps keep the spam bots from junking up the comments (and makes sure I get to read and respond to comments, too!)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.